Updated April 28, 2020
PNCB is closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19). PNCB is headquartered in Maryland. Based on the executive order issued 3/23/2020 by the Governor of Maryland, PNCB’s physical office is closed. Please check back frequently for updates to this page.
- Staff are working remotely to continue to serve candidates, certificants, and employers. Certificants and exam candidates may experience service delays beyond our advertised timeframes, including application processing.
- Please use email addresses listed here to contact us, and thank you for understanding that there may be some delay in our response.
- All online systems including certificant portals and the CE / Pediatric Updates marketplace are still available 24/7.
- PNCB / nursing exams are considered essential workforce testing by our test center vendor Prometric.
PNCB Services During Remote Office Work
Please use this 3/30/2020 update on PNCB services to understand if your needs are impacted during remote office work in this time of COVID-19. PNCB continues to work with its testing center vendor Prometric as current appointments are cancelled or rescheduled.
- New Exam Applications: Nurses may submit exam applications at this time.
- Existing Exam Applications: If you have already applied and were awaiting eligibility or a test center appointment, all current applications are being moved to a holding status called “Need More Information” when there is nationwide closure of Prometric testing centers.
- You should see a note in your application that Prometric test centers are closed. As of 4/10/2020, Prometric plans to reopen the centers on 5/1/2020, however due to rapidly changing circumstances related to COVID-19 this date may change. PNCB will process completed exam applications as soon as possible when the test centers re-open. Thank you for your patience.
- To confirm if this is the case for your Need More Information status, log into your PNCB portal and find your exam application. Click the blue word Details at the far right then click “Comments from PNCB.”
- Existing Exam Appointments: You should have received communications from Prometric’s operations team about the cancellation and rescheduling of your current test appointment. PNCB and Prometric are committed to working with you to reschedule your test during a time, date, location and that will work best for you, including extending testing windows as necessary. Please contact Prometric to reschedule your testing appointment. Do not hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or if the date/time of rescheduling does not meet your needs. Rescheduling fees do not apply during this time.
- We recommend sending transcripts electronically if possible (please check with your registrar’s office to see if this option is available). See the section below about how your school’s registrar can send yours electronically so it will be accepted.
- Mailed paper transcripts will be processed on a delayed schedule due to remote work.
- Verifications: Primary source verification of certification services are not impacted.
- CE, Pediatric Updates, and Practice Tests: Our modules are online and not impacted. However, three Pediatric Updates have book references, so we encourage you to purchase the companion e-book format for those modules.
- Wallet Card and Portal Access: Not impacted.
- Lapel Pins, Wall Certificates, and Promotional Materials: All physical materials will not be processed/mailed at this time of remote work.
Information from Prometric Testing Centers:
Given new guidance from the CDC, Prometric has determined it is necessary and appropriate to close their test centers in the United States and Canada effective March 17, 2020. This dramatic step is necessary in order to comply with new federal guidance as well as to further protect the health and well-being of the individual test takers and the staff who provide services at each of our testing locations. Prometric anticipates re-opening test centers effective May 1 for PNCB exams, however, please note that the specific date will be dependent on circumstances that are changing daily. Check back frequently on the status of Prometric testing centers. Note that PNCB exam candidates are in the essential workforce category permitted to test beginning May 1.
For additional information and updates, please visit Prometric’s website. PNCB will adjust current eligibilities to accommodate the current situation. Candidates with questions should contact PNCB at email@example.com.
Electronic Transcript Policies:
- PNCB will accept electronic transcripts provided by the school and sent directly from the registrar's office or a transcript service such as National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment.
- Transcripts must be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org using a secure document transfer method.
- Password protected PDF documents are not acceptable. PNCB reserves the right to request a hard copy of a transcript.
Previous updates on this page were provided: April 15, 2020; April 10, 2020; March 30, 2020; March 23, 2020; March 17, 2020; March 10, 2020