PMHS Exam Eligibility
Learn about eligibility requirements and any supporting documents before you apply:
Please review the detailed information below about all eligibility pathways.
- Avoid application delays: Transcripts are required for all applicants, including those holding the CPNP-PC credential. If you think PNCB already has your transcript on file, please confirm this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. See transcript requirements and address.
- Have a disability covered by the ADA Act and will need accommodations during testing? Indicate your need for accommodations on the online application and promptly submit the Special Accommodations Form.
- Not certified by PNCB? Documentation of current, active certification is required. You must upload a copy of your certification wallet card or certificate during the application process.
- Ready to apply? Click here.
- Need help calculating clinical hours? See our tips.
1. Licensure & Certification Requirement
Special note: If not certified by PNCB, documentation of current, active certification is required. You will be asked to upload a copy of your certification wallet card or certificate during the application process.
Current, active, unencumbered APRN license issued by a US state, US territory, or Canada, and current certification as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) in the role and population foci of one of these certifications:
2. Education Requirement
Graduation from an accredited college or university that offers a ACEN or CCNE accredited nursing master's or doctoral degree, or a post-master's certificate from an accredited college or university, with one of the following concentrations:
If you don’t have a master’s degree or above in nursing but you meet the following requirements, you may still apply if currently certified and licensed in the role/population foci described under #1 above and if educated prior to 1992 when a master’s degree in an advanced nursing practice role was not required.
3. Certification Pathway Requirements
Traditional Pathway – Document 30 hours of CE/CME or 1 graduate course of at least 2 credits related to pediatric developmental, behavioral, and mental health in the past 5 years and a minimum of 2,000 hours of pediatric, developmental, behavioral, and mental health (DBMH) clinical practice (with or without a preceptor) while holding an APRN license in the past 5 years.
Faculty Pathway – Document 10 points of accepted, alternative activities which can come from teaching, precepting, scholarly projects, CE/CME and/or academic credit. All must be related to pediatric developmental, behavioral, and mental health (DBMH) and earned or completed in the past 5 years. See examples.
In addition, document a minimum of 1,000 hours of pediatric, behavioral, and mental health (DBMH) clinical practice while holding an APRN license in the past 5 years.
Specialty Program – Document completion of an approved program: Duke PBMH, KySS, or Almost Home Kids, and a minimum of 1,000 hours of pediatric, behavioral, and mental health (DBMH) clinical practice while holding an APRN license in the past 5 years.